Tuesday 25 October 2011

No NaNoWriMo

I'm not sure I have a novel in me, so no NaNoWriMo for me. But I know there are a lot of writers out there sharpening their pencils, oiling their various writing irons and generally limbering up in readiness for some serious wordsmithing in November's Na(tional)No(vel)Wri(ting)Mo(nth). Brave souls. Good luck.

My second cousin writes a little and he shared a link today to what I thought was a useful looking mag, especially aimed at aspiring writers. If you are interested, you can get a paid hardcopy subscription or the e-pub for free. Words with Jam.

Meanwhile, here's a back issue to wet your whistle:

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying it this year for the first time. I really prefer reading nonfiction so it should be interesting. Are you familiar with the work of Sarah Orne Jewett? She was a major inspiration for Willa Cather at the beginning of the 20th century. I really like Jewett's work. My novel isn't going to be a straightforward thing. In fact, I think it's going to be closer to Spoon River Anthology than Danielle Steele! Richard/Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: Good luck! I'm as well-read as I am written (ie, not very), though I'm sure other visitors may have a view on your observations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oiling their various writing irons"? I like that. Writing irons: never heard that before. I think I'll steal that; might be my new favorite typewriterly idiom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing Irons is good. I also like "writing anvils" (seen, I think on strikethru) having just shifted the Royal 10.

    ReplyDelete